Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A New Milestone

Both of my boys are now teenagers and closer to leaving home than I like. Ben will be a senior this year and Andy will be a sophomore.

Looking back I can remember every milestone they reached: first word, first tooth, first step, first day of school. And the truly glorious ones of learning to tie their own shoes, potty training and the ability to dress themselves!

As they've gotten older the milestones are not so life changing but they still mark the passing of time. First day of high school, first prom, first job and the first time they drive away in the car by themselves.

Today a new milestone was passed for Andy. Today he got his learners permit. And I was driven home from the license branch by my 15 year old for the first time.



One more milestone for both of us to face. My baby is growing up and getting closer to stepping out on his own. I hope we are both ready.


There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots; the other, wings.
-William Hodding Carter, Jr.

1 comment:

Kim said...

NO NO NO. Say it ain't so. Andy can't be driving! That means Emily will right behind (God help us all).

Remember when we used to joke about our "villas" next to each other and we would someday sit out in your "common yard" and watch our future grandkids? Time is flying by way too fast.